WELCOME TO OUR WEEKLY VIRTUAL ART GALLERY

The mission of the Etsy Fine Art Gallery is to highlight the fine art on Etsy, as distinct from fine craft. Not that we have a bias against fine craft, mind you. That will be for another blog. Here you will find only original fine art. Watch for new openings and special exhibits curated by Etsy fine artists. And thank you for looking. Our exhibits change every Sunday so check back often!

AKjapan - original art from Japan by Andrea Kobayashi



I am primarily a landscape painter. I like to draw and paint the natural environment, especially the fields and mountains where I live in rural Japan. My work is influenced by history, by photography and by my experience of migration and travel. The bulk of my studio practice is big, oily landscape paintings. I have three main studio projects:
Karasu/Yatagarasu (two and three-legged crows) a conceptual project exploring the experience of migration and outsider, Landscape Painting and Drawing and The Armchair Antiquarian. As well as these I also make small works on paper; pen and ink, watercolours and printmaking including 'hapazome' - Japanese leaf prints. These have been popular on Etsy.

4 comments:

Etsy Art Gallery said...

Andrea you work is captivating and original. Beautiful!

Andriques said...

Thank you Gallery! I'm happy to see my work here amongst so many active and energetic artists. There is so much great work available on Etsy.

paint1chris said...

Konnichi-wa Andrea! Beautiful work. Your project Karasu/Yatagarasu sounds very interesting. Hope you share some with us.

india flint said...

hapa-zome when applied to my cloth-dyeing technique doesn't use watercolour...

I coined the phrase some years ago while working in Japan but it's NOT an exclusively Japanese technique...